Education Policy Initiative Postdoctoral Fellowship


Thursday, December 1, 2016

The Education Policy Initiative seeks candidates interested in deepening their knowledge of rigorous, applied quantitative education policy research for a two-year postdoctoral fellowship, starting in summer 2017.

The fellow will be trained to estimate the causal effects of education policies and practices on student outcomes, emphasizing the use of state and district longitudinal data. Fellows will participate in all aspects of the research process, including design, IRB administration, analysis, and presentation. They will collect, compile and analyze data; design surveys; participate in research planning; write papers; present results at seminars and professional meetings; and supervise research assistants. The fellow will learn how to develop a research partnership with practitioners or public agencies and to communicate results to non-technical audiences, including policymakers.

The fellow will also have the opportunity to develop and lead additional education research projects. The fellow should expect to spend about 60% of his/her time working on ongoing research projects at the Ford School, while dividing the other 40% between building new collaborations at the university and his/her own ongoing work. The fellow will not have any teaching responsibilities.

The fellow will receive close mentorship from professors Susan Dynarski and Brian Jacob and will have the opportunity to work with cross-disciplinary UM faculty, including John Bound, Stephen DesJardins, Mathew Ronfeldt, Jeff Smith, Kevin Stange and Christina Weiland. UM is home to a dynamic community of researchers, with ample opportunity for professional development – via participation in seminars and trainings, as well as through exposure to high-profile speakers.

This is a 2-year fellowship beginning in the summer of 2017 with competitive salary and benefits plus funds for research expenses and related travel.

We will begin reviewing applications on December 1 and will continue until the position is filled. More information can be found on the EPI website.