Penn State World Campus M.P.S. in Applied Demography Spring Semester
The 30-credit Master of Professional Studies (M.P.S.) in Applied Demography delivered through Penn State World Campus is designed to provide working professionals with an understanding of concepts, measures, data, software, and analytical skills to use in the workplace in both the public and private sector.
Demographers are employed by administrative, planning, and statistics divisions across the federal government and also in vastly larger numbers at the state and local levels. From transportation planning to environmental mitigation efforts by state and local agencies, an ability to analyze and visualize demographic patterns and projects is key to making critical decisions. Population statistics, for example, are used by demographers in government at all levels to provide data for decisions impacting an extensive range of health, education, and economic issues.
Once you complete this degree, you should be able to:
- describe demographic principles and population trends that impact decision making in business, the public sector, and nonprofit organizations
- demonstrate technical competence in demographic methods, GIS applications to population questions, and demographic data sources and their use
- address the immediate questions and planning objectives of managers, administrators, and government officials by examining case studies of how to use demographic science
- demonstrate unique comparative understanding of applied demographic knowledge and skills by utilizing international demographic data and problem-solving examples
- incorporate advanced geo-demographic analysis, big data, and applied statistical methods in your line of work